Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Genealogy Anyone?

One of my interests is genealogy. I love searching for ancestors and occasionally making contact with others who are descended from the same great-great-great-grandparents.

I was born years after my parents, their two young daughters and my maternal grandparents moved to California. My older sisters were teenagers when I was born and my parents had been married 17 years. I was a big surprise.

Over the years I've heard many family stories...including stories about my paternal grandfather and his older brother operating a number of saloons in the area where southern Ohio meets northeastern Kentucky and northwestern West Virginia.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I found several liquor labels belonging to my grand-uncle. As I understand it, Uncle Ike was some 25 years older than my grandfather, Andrew Jackson (Jack) Ash. Ike and Jack married Harlow sisters, Martha and Flody.

Anyone else interested in genealogy?

No comments: